Bird Watching in Tanzania
Many destinations in Africa are fabulous for birdwatching. The sheer range of bird species is simply astonishing and it is very hard not to be fascinated by them. There may be times on safari when big game is scare, but you can always scan the sky and listen to the sounds of the bush for some birdlife.
Africa is home to about 1800 different bird species. Many of these are from exceptionally beauty with splendid songs and astonishing rituals. Birds occur in all shapes, sizes and colors; and most of them undertake incredible distances when moving from one part of the world to another.
Tanzania with its diverse geography offers an ultimate paradise for bird enthusiasts. Birds are visible throughout the year; however, the best times are from November to April when many resident birds are breeding and the migratory birds from the Northern Hemisphere are present.
Lake Manyara National Park
- home of approx. 400 bird species
- various seasonal waterfowls like cormorants, flamingos, pelicans; as well as storks, turacos and weavers
- only regular breeding site for lesser flamingos in East Africa
Serengeti National Park
- home of approx. 500 bird species
- large raptors as well as endemic birds nowhere else found like the Usambiro barbet, the grey-crested Helmetshrike, the grey-breasted spurfowl and the rufous-tailed weaver
Ruaha National Park
- home of approx. 450 species
- with its remoteness in the far south-west rarely visited, but incredible bird variety including endemic birds like yellow-collared lovebird and the ashy starling
Selous Game Reserve (now Nyerere National Park)
- home of approx. 440 species
- the Rufiji River presents the only permanent source of water and birds are best observed during a boat safari including white-fronted bee-eater, fish eagle, broad-billed roller, and many more
Interested? Talk to an expert!
As an adventurous European travel is in my blood! Tanzania is a fascinating country with so much to explore! It’s a pleasure to share my insider knowledge and offer first-hand advise. I take the time to listen to your ideas and create a unique safari adventure out of these – tailored to your indivudal requirements and designed just for you!
Tanzania has the highest number of bird species found anywhere in Africa. You want to encounter a variety of birds or looking for a particular species?
Not sure – Talk to an expert
Let me show you my stunning home country and discover the true Tanzania – authentic and first-hand with a native at your side! As a Tanzanian myself, I am intimately familiar with the local conditions. With my experience in the bush and my passioan for wildlife, I will happily design an itinerary based on your travel interests.
You have any questions in regards to a birding adventure in Tanzania ? Get in touch for a first chat to discuss your requirements!
Phone/Whats App +255 787 298 159
Bird Watching – Our Favorite Safari Packages
You are a twitcher and would like to spott a variety of birds throughout your trip? Maybe the below safaris will inspire you for a birdwatching adventure in Tanzania. If you are however looking to encounter a particular bird, then please do get in touch via our contact page.
4-Day Explorer Safari
Tour Duration: 4 days, 3 nights
National Parks: Tarangire, Manyara & Ngorongoro Crater
7-Day Off-Track Safari
Tour Duration: 7 days, 6 nights
National Parks: Tarangire, Lake Natron, Serengeti & Ngorongoro Crater
12-Day Venture Safari
Tour Duration: 12 days, 11 nights
National Parks: Mikumi, Ruaha, Udzungwa & Nyerere
Why Book With Us
Locally Owned Tour Operator
Everything is handled in-house
Extensive knowledge as we live & work on-site
Itineraries are designed to your individual taste & needs
Wide network of partners – not bounded to a property chain
Attention to every detail with excellent customer service
Responsible & Sustaibale Travel
Support locally-owned camps, lodges and suppliers
Giving back – social, economic & environmental impact
Waste management (re-fillable water bottles & humper lunches)