Southern Zanzibar – Kizimkazi
sleeping fishing village
Kizimkazi, a small fishing village, is located on the southwestern tip of Zanzibar. For many centuries it has served as the seat of the supreme ruler and holds the oldest existing mosque, built in the early 12th century. The coast in this area is dominated by coral cliffs with small bays and sandy beaches. A pool is highly recommended due the tidal changes.
This forgotten beach region is ideal for travelers who are looking for utter seclusion as the beaches, when they are accessible, are totally your own. Kizimkazi is mainly known for its dolphin tours, which we cannot recommend due the lack of supervision and the way in which they are conducted. If you want to encounter dolphins in the wild, we would rather recommend a boat excursion (Safari-Blue).
Further Details – Southern Zanzibar
Which travelers will particularly enjoy this beach destination?
- who are looking for a quiet beach destination far away from the hustle and bustle
- who are interested in daytrips to Jozani Forest or Stone Town
- who like to dive (thanks to the short distance to Menai Bay)
You shouldn't miss...
- take a stroll to the village to experience local life outside your beach resort
- enjoy the hustle & bustle at the local fish auction when fishers bring in their catch
- visit Zanzibar oldest mosque
Our Favorite Excursion:
- Traditional Dhow Sailing with Sandbank BBQ at Pungume & Snorkeling
- if we are luckily: dolphin spotting while we are sailing
Beach Resorts in Kizimkazi
- Karamba Boutique Hotel
- The Residence Zanzibar
You may also like to explore…
Check out our sample itinerary for a possible beach extention to Zanzibar Island. The itinerary can be customized to your individual wishes! Prices depend on number of travelers, duration of your beach stay, the travel time and your accommodation preferences.
Activities & Daytrips
Maybe relaxing and sunbathing at the beach sounds a bit boring? Zanzibar Island has lots of activities to offer: for water enthusiasts and travelers interested in ancient ruins. Check out our favorite ones here!
Scroll through our selection of beach resorts on Zanzibar Island – each personally visited and reviewed! Depending on your travel preferences and budget, we will recommend the perfect accommodation stay for you!